Sunday 24 March 2013

A Good Northamptonshire Pudding

I was flicking through Florence White's Good Things in Britain (see Amazon link ) when I noticed a recipe for Northamptonshire pudding. Aha, I thought... this is a new one on me.

The recipe makes enough for a complete factory of clickers (local joke) so thought I would google for another variant. This one comes from the Northampton Museum's blog. Apparently they were given a Northamptonshire Federation of Women's Institutes' recipe book from 1933. This excellent pudding was contributed by the good ladies of Cogenhoe.

This is my modern variant...

Put 2oz stork margarine, 4 oz SR flour, 3 oz castor sugar and 2 eggs in the Kenwood Chef and whizz until light and fluffy. Stir in (by hand ) 1tbsp of raspberry jam.

Grease a 1pt pudding basin and put another 1tbsp of raspberry jam at the bottom. Add the pudding mixture and cover with a greaseproof circle and a foil cover secured with string.

Steam for 2 hours (I use a pasta pot), turn out carefully and serve with single cream. I do prefer this to custard on a hot pudding.

No comments: