Sunday 19 October 2008

Credit crunch bread pudding




I hate waste: and the current financial and environmental situation is making me think about this even more.





This pudding is a brilliant way of using up odd bread crusts, and tastes delicious hot or cold.





Firstly tear 225g of bread crusts into small pieces and place in a bowl with 275ml of skimmed milk.





Leave to soak for 30 minutes or so then add 50g of melted Flora buttery spread, 75g of soft brown sugar, 1 tsp of ground cardamon, 1 tsp of ground cinnamon and 1 egg well beaten.





Stir well, then add 100g of golden raisins and 75g of sweetened dried cranberries. Stir to mix, then pour into a shallow baking dish greased with Flora buttery, Bake at 180 deg C for about an hour.





We enjoyed it with some pre-credit crunch Tesco Finest custard I had hanging around in the fridge. I have also had a little taste of it cold: it is comfortingly, starchily delicious.



Note: the photo of me looking incredibly un-glamorous is an antidote to Nigella's new Christmas tome. I have to say that the recipes look very good (more on the chocolate christmas cake shortly) but the photos of her clad in various silk dressing gowns pouting at the camera are too much (though I dare say that men of a certain age will like them).

No comments: